Following on from last week’s kipping pull-up, CrossFit Seminar Staff member James Hobart demonstrates the kipping chest-to-bar pull-up for us this week. This is pretty much just like the kipping pull-up, except you’re working a little harder to create enough momentum to get your chest to the bar instead of just your chin over the bar.
Just like the kipping pull-up, you are well advised to develop strength and flexibility in the shoulders and thoracic area before kipping, in order to protect your shoulder joints, particularly in the position when your bodyweight is thrown forward and your arms lifted overhead and behind you.
Points Of Performance
- Position hands on the bar wider than the shoulder
- Full grip on the bar
- Start hanging with arms extended
- Initiate swing with shoulders
- Alternate between arched and hollow positions
- Drive hips towards the bar while in the hollow position
- At the same time, push down on the bar with straight arms
- Rapidly extend hips, then pull with arms
- Pull until chest touches the bar just below the collarbone
- Chest stays up with eyes looking forward